French

“I wish I had learnt languages at school, because you never know where your career is going to take you”. (Mark Hughes, football manager) Learning French follows the development of four main skills: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. In Years 7, 8 and 9 the emphasis is on being able to communicate orally and in writing in the foreign language and to be able to understand a good proportion of what we see and hear. We regularly assess both formally and informally and use a variety of multi-media to enhance our students learning. In Years 10 and 11, we use the OCR syllabus for GCSE. Listening and Reading skills represent 40% of the final grade, whereas Speaking and Writing count for the remaining 60%. Languages combine well with all subjects and are usually popular with those studying English, Business Studies and ICT.

The aims of the French Department are: – To develop the ability to use the language effectively for purposes of practical communication. – To form a sound base of the skills, language and attitudes required for further study, work and leisure. – To offer insights into the culture and civilisation of the countries where the language is spoken. – To develop an awareness of the nature of language learning – To provide enjoyment and intellectual stimulation – To encourage positive attitudes to foreign language learning and to speakers of foreign languages, and a sympathetic approach to others cultures. – To contribute to personal, social, spiritual and cultural development. As the world gets smaller, there’s never been a better opportunity to get into languages. “My wife and I learnt Spanish and Japanese when I played at Barcelona and Nagoya. We spent hours and hours in tuition, yet we could have learnt either language years earlier at school. Modern Languages prepare you for modern life.” (Gary Lineker, footballer and television presenter).